This five-day instructor-led course provides students with the knowledge and skills to maintain a Microsoft SQL Server 2014 database. The course focuses on teaching individuals how to use SQL Server 2014 product features and tools related to maintaining a database. Note: This course is designed for customers who are interested in learning SQL Server 2012 or SQL Server 2014. It covers the new features in SQL Server 2014, but also the important capabilities across the SQL Server data platform.
Price: contact us for more details
Leave your details
Module 1: Introduction to SQL Server 2014 Database Administration
This module introduces the Microsoft SQL Server 2014 platform. It describes
the components, editions, and versions of SQL Server 2014, and the tasks that
a database administrator commonly performs for a SQL Server instance.
- Database Administration Overview
- Introduction to the SQL Server Platform
- Database Management Tools and Techniques
Module 2: Installing and Configuring SQL Server 2014
This module explains how to assess resource requirements for SQL Server
2014 and how to install it.
- Planning SQL Server Installation
- Installing SQL Server 2014
- Post-Installation Configuration
Module 3: Working with Databases and Storage
This module describes how data is stored in databases, how to create
databases, how to manage database files, and how to move them. Other tasks
related to storage, include managing the tempdb database and using fast
storage devices to extend the SQL Server buffer pool cache are also discussed.
- Introduction to Data Storage with SQL Server
- Managing Storage for System Databases
- Managing Storage for User Databases
- Moving Database Files
- Configuring the Buffer Pool Extension
Module 4: Planning and Implementing a Backup Strategy
In this module, you will consider how to create a backup strategy that is
aligned with organizational needs, and learn how to perform the backup
operations required by that strategy.
- Understanding SQL Server Recovery Models
- Planning a Backup Strategy
- Backing up Databases and Transaction Logs
- Using Backup Options
- Ensuring Backup Reliability
Module 5: Restoring SQL Server 2014 Databases
In this module, you will see how to restore user and system databases and
how to implement point-in-time recovery.
- Understanding the Restore Process
- Restoring Databases
- Advanced Restore Scenarios
- Working with Point-in-Time Recovery
Module 6: Importing and Exporting Data
In this module, you will briefly explore tools and techniques so that you can
import and export data to and from SQL Server.
- Introduction to Transferring Data
- Importing and Exporting Table Data
- Copying or Moving a Database
Module 7: Monitoring SQL Server 2014
This module explains how to use three of the most commonly used tools: Activity Monitor, dynamic management views and functions (DMVs and DMFs), and Performance Monitor.
- Introduction to Monitoring SQL Server
- Dynamic Management Views and Functions
- Performance Monitor
Module 8: Tracing SQL Server Activity
This module describes how to use SQL Server Profiler and SQL Trace stored
procedures to capture information about SQL Server, and how to use that
information to troubleshoot and optimize SQL Server workloads.
- Tracing SQL Server Workload Activity
- Using Traces
Module 9: Managing SQL Server Security
In this module, you will be learn about the core concepts on which the SQL
Server security architecture is based, and how to manage security at the server and database levels.
- Introduction to SQL Server Security
- Managing Server-Level Security
- Managing Database-Level Principals
- Managing Database Permissions
Module 10: Auditing Data Access and Encrypting Data
This module describes the available options for auditing in SQL Server, how to
use and manage the SQL Server audit feature, and how to implement encryption.
- Auditing Data Access in SQL Server
- Implementing SQL Server Audit
- Implementing SQL Server Audit
Module 11: Performing Ongoing Database Maintenance
This module describes common database maintenance tasks that a DBA must
perform, and demonstrates how to automate these tasks using maintenance plans.
- Ensuring Database Integrity
- Maintaining Indexes
- Automating Routine Database Maintenance
Module 12: Automating SQL Server 2014 Management
This module describes how to use SQL Server Agent to automate jobs, how to
configure security contexts for jobs, and how to implement multi-server jobs.
- Automating SQL Server Management
- Implementing SQL Server Agent Jobs
- Managing SQL Server Agent Jobs
- Managing Job Step Security Contexts
- Managing Jobs on Multiple Servers
Module 13: Monitoring SQL Server 2014 by Using Alerts and Notifications
This module covers the configuration of database mail, alerts, and notifications.
- Monitoring SQL Server Errors
- Configuring Database Mail
- Configuring Operators, Alerts, and Notifications